Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
The following two books provide excellent overviews of ACT (for targeting all problems, including anxiety).
- Harris, R. 2008. The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living. Boston: Trumpeter Books.
- Hayes, S. C. 2005. Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. With S. Smith. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
- Hayes, S. C., K. D. Strosahl, and K. G. Wilson. 2012. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: The Process and Practice of Mindful Change. 2nd ed. New York: The Guilford Press. (This book is targeted to professionals.)
Mindfulness and Acceptance Approaches to Anxiety
The following three books focus on all types of anxiety (including social anxiety).
- Forsyth, J. P., and G. H. Eifert. 2007. The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
- Orsillo, S. M., and L. Roemer. 2011. The Mindful Way through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life. New York: The Guilford Press.
- Wilson, K. G., and T. Dufrene. 2010. Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
Social Anxiety and Shyness
- Antony, M. M., and R. P. Swinson. 2008. The Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven, Step-by-Step Techniques for Overcoming Your Fear. 2nd ed. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications. (This book provides an excellent overview on many aspects of social anxiety and shyness, including causes, cognitive behavioral approaches, and medications.)
- Henderson, L. 2011. The Compassionate-Mind Guide to Building Social Confidence: Using Compassion-Focused Therapy to Overcome Shyness and Social Anxiety. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
- Segal, Z. V., J. M. G. Williams, and J. D. Teasdale. 2013. Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression. 2nd ed. New York: The Guilford Press. (This book is targeted to professionals.)
- Williams, M., J. Teasdale, Z. Segal, and J. Kabat-Zinn. 2007. The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness. New York: The Guilford Press.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
- Kabat-Zinn, J. 1990. Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness. New York: Dell Publishing.
- Stahl, B., and E. Goldstein. 2010. A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
Furthering Your Practice of Mindfulness and Acceptance
There is a rapidly growing number of books available on the topics of mindfulness and acceptance. The following books represent some of our favorites.
- Brach, T. 2004. Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life with the Heart of a Buddha. New York: Bantam.
- Chödrön, P. 1997. When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times. Boston: Shambhala Publications.
- Kabat-Zinn, J. 1994. Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life. New York: Hyperion.
- Kabat-Zinn, J. 2005. Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World through Mindfulness. New York: Hyperion.
- Siegel, D. J. 2007. The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunement in the Cultivation of Well-Being. New York: W.W. Norton and Company.
- Thich Nhat Hanh. 1996. The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation. Translated by M. Ho. Boston: Beacon Press.